Wednesday, August 6, 2008

A Year Later...a retrospective and new hope


The last post I made was in relation to Jack's 2nd Birthday. As Jack would say, " I was disappeared" from blog land after that. As many of you know my Aunt Jane died in December 2007 after battling with colon cancer. Jack had chronic ear infections for about 6 months following that final blog as well ending in our decision to place tubes in his ears. Further, Susie has had some health issues which she is dealing with to boot.

However, one year later is finally here and I'm ready to climb out of my cave once again.

The boy is ready to turn 3 and both Susie and I are lamenting having to say goodbye to the 2's. While the year was horrible in sooooo many ways there were so many great things about Jack being 2 that I'll miss:

1. The boy is funny...but he thinks I'm the funniest person in the world. When I ask him, "who's the funniest person you know?" He says, "you dad". What's better than that and I truly didn't train him to say this...except for my look of joy that rewards him for his target response. Needless to say I ask him every 15 minutes or so. I'm sure this won't last much longer as he's bound to realize I'm only funny to 2 year olds.

2. Unbridaled singing and dancing...there is still very little self consciousness at 2 yielding incredible displays of talent(?) most of which is displayed in the buff.

3. Pride in using the potty...I love that this brings us all so much joy. "I'm going poopy dad". "Okay Jack". "I did it dad, I made a turtle." "That's great Jack". "Come in and see it dad it's a funny U one". "Okay". "Isn't it great". "I love it". "Thank you daddy".

4. "Chipmunk" obsession...this is Jack's chimpanzee doll that was Susie's back in the 70's. Jack named it "Chipmunk", confusing the word chimpanzee as he'd just turned two. This little doll travels the earth with us. In fact it is sitting in my car awaiting our pick up of Jack at 2:30pm from school. Chipmunk hides from Jack every night before bed only to be found by Jack in hysterical laughter. Only after Chipmunk begs to stay with Jack in the crib "all night", Jack agrees and sleep may commence. Aside: Puppy is still around too...he's the Wooby/security blanket from the early days.

5. Playing in stores like they're playgrounds with no expectation of buying something...this one is on it's way out already. "Can we take this truck home dad". "No, not today". "Why dad?" "It's not ours, we have to play with it here today until we have enough money". "Oh." He's yet to start the, "But I want it", or "it's only a dollar", or "you have money".

6. The Beastie Boy obsession...fun with a two year old. Dangerous with a 3 year old...he knows what they're saying now so I think we have to stop this. We've already let it go too far most likely. He's probably telling his teachers about sabotage and his right to party.

7. Nanalan and Yo Gabba Gabba...just had to give these two shows a shout out. I'm hoping he stays interested in these for awhile as they are quite the delight. Those Canadians sure can make a kids show.

And so on...

The thing I'll miss the most though is the smallness...he's starting to get big and already has passed baby stage. Soon he'll be a "Big Kid". Trying to enjoy him now.

I'll skip the bad things like the hitting and kicking me episode we had this morning when he didn't want to get dressed. I became Super Nanny Man and put him in timeout of course. The temper comes in waves...2 weeks gone...1 week back...1 month gone...2 months back...and so forth. Hopefully we can work a year in there temper free...there's always HOPE!

1 comment:

suebaby said...

Well said... I'm already in mourning for Jack's second year. He really is the best. Glad to see you reenter the blog world, for however long it lasts. I'm signing off now to go eat dinner with you. I love you!

Rants, drivel and a few interesting tidbits