Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Men--support a good one

You might think by the title, another rant is coming. Well, not this time. Many of you know I don't think very highly of my breathren. Not because of something I read or something I learned in Multicultural Class 101, although that did help me make sense of "it" many years back. My aversion has been created through experiences.

Well there is hope! A man who gets "it" is hard to come by. I mean, one who understands "it", his relationship to "it", and, who attempt to not contribute to "it", and, in some rare cases actually sets out to do something about "it". If you don't know what "it" is then you probably don't get "it" and, well, I guess this entry isn't for you...especially if you are dying to substitute "it" with the name of a female body part or something sexually related or some other word that immediately proves my point.

Recently, a man whom I worked with in a limited capacity quit his job, took a new international/humanitarian job, and relocated to the Gaza Strip to help those in need. I thought he seemed to get "it" in my brief experiences with him at work. Unfortunately, I didn't know for sure until he was gone. He's not out to save the world I don't think but he is out to make a difference and do his part to make it a better place.

You can visit his blog as the link is located in the side bar to the left under My Favorite Blog of the week.

You can also visit the organization he is working for by clicking on the following link and donate to this worthy cause:
JumpStart International

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keith

Thanks for plugging my blog. I appreciate the kind words and I certainly hope our paths cross again. I think about you everday as there are a lot of mental health issues here that have arisen from living in a society tormented, isolated and full of fear. What is amazing is how many of the small children here smile all the time. They are just beautiful. You can almost tell the point when a kid is affected. His eyes change. They glaze over with a frustration and sadness.

To clarify one point, I have not moved to Palestine. I will spend a month here this trip and come back once a quarter for a month each time. If I did not have obligations at home, I would move here. Outside of the conflict and politics, it is truly an amazing place. All the food is fresh picked or butchered the same day maybe the day before. People are kind and gracious and the weather is beautiful.

Let's keep in touch.

Ray

Rants, drivel and a few interesting tidbits