Monday, April 10, 2006

Happy 29th Birthday Susie Blue

It ain't easy to plan a birthday celebration when Jack's around. The day before Susie's big day, Jack and I went to the mall. I had full intention of shopping for Susie. However, Jack decided not to nap all day and fuss everytime I stopped to look at anything. I ended up walking around the mall for several hours until Susie met us and finally, Jack fell asleep. By that time I had managed to buy Susie one gift, a Clinique gift set, which I would notice while walking with Susie would have come with a free gift if bought at Dillards rather than Macy's. It was too late as Jack had taken the wind out of my sails early on Saturday leaving me with no gusto for shopping later that evening.

Jack got his picture taken with the Easter Bunny, a scary one with big black eyes. The kid before him freaked out right before it was his turn and the parents had to turn back after waiting in line. Jack, however, smiled for his picture oblivious to the giant rabbit all together seemingly.

After Jack went to bed, it was off to get all the things I planned to get earlier in the day. At this point it was about 7:30pm. By 12am I was finally in bed, presents wrapped, yellow tulips scattered around the house, balloons taped to the walls, picnic foods and basket readied for travel, and cards written, including Jack's card to his mom written in grean beans.

Next morning Susie slept in whilst I fed the beast. She opened her presents from Jack first. He got her a...sippy cup (one for him and one for her even though I told him she had practically mastered drinking out of cups already), a Wolverine Pez dispenser (it's what he grabbed when I told him to pick something out for his mom), and a pair of swimming pants (so he won't pee on his mother in the pool as we plan to go for our first swim in the next week). From me Susie got an outfit from Express and the Clinique gift set, both of which must be returned...oh well. I wanted to get us plane tickets to Europe but held off due to the impending check-up on Jack's cyst next month.

After the gifts were all opened, it was time to get ready for our trip to Wekiwa State Park where I had a big picnic planned. From here the day went well. We sat with our feet, Jack's included, in the springs. We hiked down a trail through the woods. We had a picnic on a grassy slope with our birthday hats on while drinking Mike's Hard Lemonade. Then we went back down the trail while Jack took a nap and I attempted to light Susie's cake in the woods, on the ground, illegally, until a pack of wild hippies snuck up behind us and I was forced to have Susie blow the candles out before they were all lit as we didn't know the hippies were not Forest Police or Smokey The Bear.

The day was perfect as the weather was cool after the previous evening rain. The colors were extra vibrant as a result of the rain and made for a very pleasant picnic and hike. By the time we left, we were exhausted but had a great time on Jack and Susie's first trip to Wekiwa Springs, on Susie's 29th Birthday.

1 comment:

suebaby said...

It was a great birthday... I think my favorite present was the Wolverine Pez dispenser. Jack and I have only known each other for seven months, and already he knows exactly what I like...

Rants, drivel and a few interesting tidbits